Thursday, March 1, 2012

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Apparently there is a rivalry going on about whether Rogue or Young's double chocolate stout is the best. I haven't had Rogue's yet, but I do know for a fact that Young's is pretty damn delicious.




Gotta love Google images. Couldn't have asked for a better shot. One of these days, I will remember to take pictures of my beer. Apparently this was taken by The Perfectly Happy Man. Just covering my bases.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a 5.20% Alcohol By Volume sweet stout with a thick body and a genuine chocolate taste that doesn't give you the suspicion that someone just added store-bought chocolate syrup to their wort and called it a day. The beer is not syrupy at all, and the alcoholic burn provides a much needed contrast to the bittersweet cocoa and the deeply roasted malts. However, this beer is rich- it's indulgent without being cloying, but expect a surprising sweetness as the beer smooths over the tongue to the throat. There isn't a particularly strong hop presence here, but there doesn't need to be. Overall, this is a well balanced, enjoyable session beer, and one of my absolute favorites. There;s a bit of a bitter aftertaste, but it doesn't linger for too long. you're definitely tasting the beer when you give this one a swallow, not the chocolate.

I know this picture has it in a glass, but this beer is one of those that I have straight from the bottle, simply because it's one of those luxuries I simply cannot wait to indulge, even to pour it in a glass. It's like trying to eat only one Reese's Cup. Who does that?

No comments:

Post a Comment