Friday, March 16, 2012

Hangovers: And How to Avoid Them

We've all had that morning. I had it *this* morning.

But there are ways of avoiding it. And I promise you, even though you've heard them a million times before, they are tried and true tricks. Take it from me, the person that just admitted they were hung over.

Trick 1: WATER BEFORE YOU SLEEP

I think this is an obvious one. Water. Drink it. Drink lots of it. Especially before you go to bed.

Though beer and most cocktails seem to be mostly water, do not fall into that false sense of security. Beer is an alcohol, which dehydrates, and it's a carb. So, water.

Cocktails, for those of you that drink them, are mostly sugar. Trust me, those munchies you get when you're drinking? Half of that is thirst, whether you believe it or not. Don't believe me? Wake up in the morning with your tongue stuck to the roof of your mouth and see how long it takes you to dive for the faucet for some of that sweet, sweet H20. Toldja.

Trick 2: PREEMPTIVE FOOD

Preemptive being the operative word here. Eating while or after drunk will NOT sober you up. Trust me, I have tried.

Me drunk. 
The fact is, your system needs a buffer against alcohol, not something to mix with it. That just makes it absorb slightly slower, which kind of makes it worse because that means that stuff will never really make it out of your system any time soon. Eat food, and filling food (no snacks, you bird eaters) before you go drinking. Give it time to digest.

Trick 3: IF IT TASTES BAD, IT WILL END BAD


This one doesn't have an exact science behind it, but in my experience, it is quite true. My worst hangovers have been with rum and bourbon, and I hate the taste of both of them. Consequently, from the beginning of my *serious* drinking endeavors I've always loved beer and tequila, and neither one leaves me completely in the shit, so to speak. I am a firm believer that your body knows what is good for you, but the free-thinking forebrain or the peer pressure power doesn't want to listen. So listen to yourself. If you don't like it, nor will your body.

Ok, quick post? Ok. Happy drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment