Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel


Happy Hangover Day! Hope everyone enjoyed their St. Patrick's Day, complete with parades, beer and inhumane amounts of green.

And here is where a picture of me at of the parade
 would go if I didn't have to work yeserday. Phooey. 

I did manage to have a good night though, thanks to some good friends, a little seat it my favorite bar, and this little number.

Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel is a 9% ABV Belgian enigma, mysterious in terms of taste, texture, and however the hell you would actually pronounce all that. This one was full bodied, but with the delightful fizz on the tongue of sparking champagne. I found that the flavor resembled a bourbon-aged, with bready malty notes and vanilla. Many other reviewers found this to be a hoppy beer, but I found that the bitterness was more of a facit than a feature of this one. I tasted a lot more of the yeast flavor here. 

Of course, this is probably because I drank the yeast (oops). This one is unfiltered, and has quite a bit of sediment. So if that sort of thing nasties you out, just do what I do: get a glass and do a smooth, uninterrupted pour and leave about half of an inch to an inch at the bottom so the sediment can't go anywhere. Easy peasy!

And yeasty.
Either way, this was delicious, and I would definitely have it again. Happy drinking, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment