Friday, March 2, 2012

Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier

Wikimediaaaaaaaaa
First off, Franziskaner is my favorite word now. Franziskaner. Rolls off the tongue.

Second off, this is one of the most interesting beer's I've ever tasted.

The texture of this German hefeweizen is thick but light, and thanks to the wheat blend it's like having a cup of bread; which tastes a lot better than it sounds, I promise you. And it works, especially with the fruity yeast flavors. It's not the most balanced of beers as it is on the sweeter side, but the hops do come through when you need them.

The best part about this gem is that leaves your palate clean, and the heavy carbonation makes for a delightful fizzy experience that makes it perfect for the summer. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but summer is a time of special seasonal brews and honey blends, so it's just nice to find one that is a perfect summer beer straight out of the brewery, but also is nice for winter when I tried it. Though this is NYC's warmest winter, so it's sort of the best of both worlds tastingwise. I guess. Ahem.

Now, down to brass tacks. This is from the Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu brewery in Germany, has a 5% ABV, and, yes, is just as cloudy as the pictures, which has no impact on the quality of the beer; that's just how it is. So if you ever see this brew in your local pub or beer store, go for it, you will not be sorry. 

Also, Franziskaner. 

1 comment:

  1. Before reading up on this I thought beer was just something people drank with salty food, and other than Miller and Bud, my pallette was pretty inexperienced. The way you talk about beer makes it sound like fine wine! Reading this, I'm getting food ideas on what to pair this beverage with. With so many of my guy friends being beer enthusiasts, I'll be using your blog a lot.

    ReplyDelete